Woodcraft Rangers is one of the largest non-profit after-school program providers in Los Angeles County. We serve 12,000+ K-12 students annually, at over 60 schools in three districts. Our mission is to guide young people as they explore pathways to purposeful lives.
INTERNSHIP / VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Woodcraft Rangers has opportunities in fall 2016 for CSUDH students interested in working with youth (elementary, middle and/or high school) at our NVISION After-School programs in the Los Angeles area. Students will be welcomed into the world of Woodcraft Rangers to assist in the implementation of innovative STEM curriculum (computer coding, 3D printing, Cyber Patriots, robotics, etc.) that has provided expanded learning and enrichment opportunities for kids in some of the most high need areas of Los Angeles.
We are looking for students with academic and/or professional experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics, Science, Game Design and Digital Arts. We have openings at schools located near the CSUDH campus. There are two ways CSUDH Students can get involved. The first is by applying for the STEM Internship. Interested candidates must be available to work Monday-Friday, between 3:00pm to 6:00pm for the duration of the school’s semester (a minimum of 3 days per week.) The second is the STEM Volunteer program where CSUDH students can mentor a club or coach a club as they prepare for a competition. Students interested should submit their resume to email@example.com. Write STEM INTERNSHIP or STEM VOLUNTEER in the subject line. A STIPEND will be provided for the STEM Internship only. School Credit will be provided for both interns and volunteers.
STEM INTERNSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in implementing curriculum and activities according to program goals and monthly themes.
- Assist in maintaining attendance records.
- Assist in recruiting and maintaining club participants.
- Assist in implementing “end of session” performances or displays.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with youth in the program
- Maintain professionalism at all times, consistent attendance, on time, and prepared.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Interns will be supervised by the Site Coordinator and/or the Program Manager.
STEM VOLUNTEER (mentor/coach)RESPONSIBILITIES
- Visit a Woodcraft Rangers STEM club on a consistent weekly or bi-monthly schedule
- Speak to the students about STEM related opportunities
- Work with the Woodcraft Rangers Club Leader and students on their current activities
- Assist the students as they prepare for competitions (robotics, coding, Cyber Patriots, etc.)
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the students
- Maintain professionalism at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum one year academic course work (12+ units) or one year professional experience working with youth in related field (Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics, Game Design, and Digital Arts, etc.)
- Ability to pass the basic aptitude test with a score of 65% or greater (Woodcraft Rangers will administer the test to selected candidates) • Enjoy working with children and/or youth
- Good oral communication skills
- Knowledge of related computer programs
- A willingness to learn and apply new ideas
- Valid LIVE Scan and TB test is required